Role-Based Access Control
Role-Based Access Control
This article explains how role-based access control provides fine-grained access to relevant functionality that allows your team to safely work on designated areas of responsibility.
Role-based access control ensures that the data and assets are protected and helps you manage who has access to Gainsight PX and what they can do with the access.
What can I do with Role Based Access Control?
Role Based Access Control allows you to grant access to Gainsight PX that you control. Here are some examples:
- Allow one user to manage all the roles as an administrator in a subscription and another user to manage specific roles such as only Engagements or Analytics.
- Allow a UX member to manage engagement templates in a subscription.
- Allow a user to manage or view the product instrumentation via the Product mapper.
- Allows a user to view and launch engagements across channels.
Role Based Access Control in Gainsight PX
Role-based access control is the way that you manage access to Gainsight PX. In this section, you grant a user access to manage and/or view one or multiple roles. Implement the role-based access control to check the access to datasets within Gainsight PX based environment. This enables you to control who can manage them, and subsequently access and use them. Furthermore, it enables the possibility of setting some attributes to determine whether certain accesses should proceed or be terminated.
Use Role Based Access Control in Gainsight PX
- Log in to the Gainsight PX portal at https://www.gainsight.com/product-experience/product-teams/
You will be navigated to the Dashboard of Gainsight PX > subscribed environment.
- Click Settings.
- Click User Management.
- Click + New User. The New user window appears. Refer the following image.
- Enter First Name, Last Name, and Email of the user whom you want to provide access.
- Select the checkbox of specific role(s) for a user whom you want to provide access to manage and/or view one or multiple roles.
Apply Role Based Access Control
Gainsight PX provides powerful role based access control. It is advised to apply role based access control and assign different permissions to the relevant users. Note that its granularity varies from instrumentation, admin settings, engagement to template creation.
The following section describes different types of roles. Every Role has two levels of access: Manager and Viewer. Only the Engagements role has Editor access along with Manager and Viewer options.
- Audience: Gainsight PX’s powerful platform is continuously collecting your product's usage data as your users use your product. This is where audiences & audience selection come into play. Audience selection can be applied all over the Gainsight PX platform. While adding a new user, if you select the checkbox for Manager option under Audience, it will automatically select the Viewer option. This means the new user will be able to manage and also view the data related to Audience. If you select only the Viewer option, the new user will not be able to edit but only view the data.
- Segments: This refers to the Segments filter configuration. When you select the Manager option checkbox, you enable your new user to create, edit, and delete Segment filters. The Viewer option allows your users only to view the configured Segment filters list.
For more information about Segment and its integration, refer to the Use Segment article.
- Engagements: Engagement is split to viewer, editor and manager. Users with Manager permissions are allowed to launch and edit the in-app Engagement. If you select the Manager checkbox for this role, you will enable your new user to create, edit, and launch engagements at the desired time. The new user can even see how the engagement will look and behave in the product by using Preview functionality. Users with manager permissions are allowed to launch and edit Guides in-app.
- If you select the Editor checkbox for this role, you will enable your new user to create, edit, and preview engagements at the desired time. However, your users do not have permission to launch the engagement.
- If you select the Viewer checkbox for this role, you will enable your new user only to view the engagement list.
- Analytics: Selecting the Manager checkbox enables your new user to manage product analytics and relevant user feedback to understand what product features your users value most and which areas of the product are ripe for enhancements. The Viewer option allows your new user to only view the same data and restricts the user from making any changes or performing any other tasks.
- Product Mapper: If you select the Manager checkbox for this role, you will enable your new user to map features and create a product feature tree. The user can view and manage each mapped feature hierarchically within the Product Feature Tree.
The new user can also organize the features any way that makes sense for your particular application only if the user has the Manager level of access. Viewer has read-only permissions.
- Account Settings: Selecting the Manager checkbox enables your new user to manage the web application and track real-time events (page view, sessions, clicks) to Gainsight PX along with their respective user and account information. The new user can also create attributes from Settings > Attributes > +New. The Viewer option lets your new user access the data in view-only mode.
- Templates: When you select the Manager checkbox for this role, you enable your new user to format Template layouts for using in engagements or email. The new user will also be allowed to setup and configure the engagement/email layouts. The Viewer option will let your new user to access the default templates while creating engagements (with Manager permission enabled) or email. You cannot customize templates with the Viewer permission.